Mercury Poisoning in Your Mouth

Mercury poisoning today is quite common. More toxic than lead or arsenic, mercury is a heavy metal that accumulates especially in the brain, kidneys, lungs, and digestive system. The World Health Organization states there is no safe level of exposure.

Mercury poisoning from dental amalgam

A variety of symptoms can result from mercury toxicity, including muscle weakness, lack of coordination, pins and needles sensation, impairment of speech or hearing, peripheral vision loss, sweating, rapid heartbeat, digestive issues, mental or emotional disturbance, and memory loss.

Some individuals are better able to detoxify than others, but over time the level of mercury will have a cumulative effect.

The two most common sources are contaminated fish and dental amalgam.

Mercury Poisoning from Dental Amalgam

Dental amalgam "silver fillings" are half mercury, with the remaining half composed of other metals. This is the same mercury that is highly toxic to human beings.

You Have NOT Been Warned

Warning labels are required on dental amalgam shipped to clinics. One such label begins, "This dental amalgam product contains mercury. The placement of a dental amalgam in a patient will increase the level of mercury in the body of the patient." 

Ever had a dentist enlighten you before filling your teeth with poison?

Mandatory Amalgam Warning Label

WARNING:  INGESTION: May cause neurotoxic nephrotoxic effects. INHALATION: May cause bronchiolitis, pneumonitis, pulmonary edema. EYES/SKIN: May cause redness and irritation to eyes and skin. ACUTE EXPOSURE: May cause sensitization dermatitis and possible visual disturbances.

CALIFORNIA PROP 65 WARNING: This product contains mercury, a chemical known to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Dental Amalgam Produces Mercury Vapor at Body Temperature

The patient receiving mercury dental fillings is never warned but will be breathing mercury vapor continuously as long as the fillings remain. Mercury vapor enters the bloodstream through the lungs then passes through cell membranes and accumulates.


Safe Dental Amalgam Removal

If you have dental amalgam coupled with chronic illness, consider removal. Insurance may even cover the cost for replacing old fillings. To explore your options, seek out a qualified and specially trained biological or holistic dentist.

It can take 3-10 years for dental amalgam symptoms to arise. But after mercury fillings are removed, symptoms often improve or resolve in just 6-12 months.

Get Educated and Stop the Mercury Madness

To learn more about mercury poisoning in dentistry and help eliminate this threat, visit the Mercury Free Dentistry Project of Consumers for Dental Choice.

Back to Dental Cleanup

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Copyright Search